Halloween Math Mystery Worksheets: The Case of the Spooky Surprise!
This Halloween Math Mystery, the Case of the Spooky Surprise, will engage and motivate your students to practice their math skills. This 5 W's Format Mystery does not require an elimination process. Instead, students solve a piece of the puzzle in each clue to discover the who, where, when, what and why in their investigation of the case. Students will need to cut out the picture answer on their clue sheet and paste to their Mystery Case file until all five are completed.
Preparation and Materials Required:
- No Prep required, just print, photocopy, and go!
- Your students will need pencils, scissors, paper, and some coloring pencils.
- NEW: Google Slides link provided within the Teacher Instructions section to assign this activity digitally
The goal of this mystery is to review:
- reading O'clock times,
- addition facts (1-20),
- subtraction facts (1-20), and
- comparing numbers up to 51.
This fun detective story also encourages literacy skills as students must read simple sentences, comprehend and match the information given with a text picture stencil to present in their mystery case file.
You can choose to use this resource in a number of ways. Some suggestions are:
• Complete one clue page daily as part of daily math practice or mental math warmup.
• Use as an early finisher task for fast/advanced students.
• Homework practice (1 page per day or week)
• Complete all at once as a whole class (guided/groups/pairs/independently)
In this math mystery pack you will receive:
• Teacher Instructions
• The Math Mystery Story, “Case of The Dino Digger”
• Math Mystery Case File – that students will use as they work through each clue
• Clue 1 (WHEN) – Reading O'clock times - Crack the Code
• Clue 2 (WHERE) – Addition Horizontal format (0-20) - Crack the Code
• Clue 3 (WHO) – Subtraction Horizontal format (0-20) - Comparing answers to solve the clue
• Clue 4 (WHAT) – Addition facts (ways to make 5, 10, 15, 20) - Mystery Picture
• Clue 5 (WHY) – Comparing numbers (0-51) - Crack the Code
• A Literacy Extension Activity for optional use post investigation (Write a Letter)
• Answer Sheets
• Printable awards to give to students who solve the mystery of The Spooky Surprise.