Winter Math Mystery: The Case of the Smashed Snowmen
This Winter Math Mystery, the Case of the Smashed Snowmen, will engage and motivate your students to practice their math skills. This 5 W's Format Mystery does not require an elimination process. Instead, students solve a piece of the puzzle in each clue to discover the who, where, when, what and why in their investigation of the case. Students will need to cut out the picture answer on their clue sheet and paste to their Mystery Case file until all five are completed.
Preparation and Materials Required:
- No Prep required, just print, photocopy, and go!
- Your students will need pencils, scissors, paper, and some coloring pencils.
- NEW: Google Slides link added to the 'Teacher Instructions' page to assign the worksheets digitally
The goal of this mystery is to review:
- Missing numbers in counting sequences,
- Subtraction facts (1-20),
- Addition facts (1-20), and
- comparing numbers up to 65
- Place Value Models (up to 20 only)
This fun detective story also encourages literacy skills as students must read simple sentences, comprehend and match the information given with a text picture stencil to present in their mystery case file.
You can choose to use this resource in a number of ways. Some suggestions are:
• Complete one clue page daily as part of daily math practice or mental math warmup.
• Use as an early finisher task for fast/advanced students.
• Homework practice (1 page per day or week)
• Complete all at once as a whole class (guided/groups/pairs/independently)
In this math mystery pack you will receive:
• Teacher Instructions
• The Math Mystery Story, “Case of The Smashed Snowmen”
• Math Mystery Case File – that students will use as they work through each clue
• Clue 1 (WHEN) – Missing Number - Crack the Code
• Clue 2 (WHAT) – Subtraction (0-20) - Mystery Picture
• Clue 3 (WHO) – Addition (0-20) - Comparing answers to solve the clue
• Clue 4 (WHERE) – Comparing Numbers - Crack the Code
• Clue 5 (WHY) – Place Value Models (1 - 19) - Crack the Code
• A Literacy Extension Activity for optional use post investigation (Write a Letter)
• Answer Sheets
• Printable awards to give to students who solve the mystery of The Smashed Snowmen
This is a different format to my other math mysteries. This is a 5 W's structure that I hope will work well with younger students.