Subtraction Facts 1-20 Math Mystery - The Case of the Dino Digger
This subtraction Math Mystery, the Case of the Dino Digger, will engage and motivate your students to practice their subtraction skills (within 20). This 5 W's Format Mystery does not require an elimination process. Instead, students solve a piece of the puzzle in each clue to discover the who, where, when, what and why in their investigation of the case. Students will need to cut out the picture answer on their clue sheet and paste to their Mystery Case file until all five are completed.
Ideal for math in the early years: Depending on the ability of your students and where your class is up to in the curriculum, this could be used in Grades 1 and/or 2.
The goal of this mystery is to work towards building fluency with subtraction facts 1-20.
This fun detective story also encourages literacy skills as students must read simple sentences, comprehend and match the information given with a text picture stencil to present in their mystery case file.
NEW: Google Slides link provided within the Teacher Instructions section to assign this activity digitally
• Complete one clue page daily as part of daily math practice or mental math warmup.
• Use as an early finisher task for fast/advanced students.
• Homework practice (1 page per day or week)
• Complete all at once as a whole class (guided/groups/pairs/independently)
In this math mystery pack you will receive:
• Teacher Instructions
• The Math Mystery Story, “Case of The Dino Digger”
• Math Mystery Case File – that students will use as they work through each clue
• Clue 1 (WHEN) – Subtraction horizontal format (0-20) - Crack the Code
• Clue 2 (WHAT) – Subtraction vertical format (0-20) - Crack the Code
• Clue 3 (WHERE) – Subtraction with a Mystery Picture to reveal the clue.
• Clue 4 (WHO) – Subtraction facts - Comparing answers
• Clue 5 (WHY) – More subtraction in a horizontal format (0-20) - Crack the Code
• A Literacy Extension Activity for optional use post investigation (Write a Letter)
• Answer Sheets
• Printable awards to give to students who solve the mystery of The Dino Digger.