The Case of the Great Zoo Escape (Add & Subtract within 20) - Math Mystery Activity (5 W's Structure)
This addition and subtraction Math Mystery will engage and motivate your students to practice their addition and subtraction skills (within 20). In Math Mystery: Case of The Great Zoo Escape students must use their math skills to decode 5 clues and discover who, where, when, what and why in their investigation of the case. Students will need to cut out the picture answer on their clue sheet and paste to their Mystery Case file until all five have been completed.
Depending on the ability of your students and where your class is up to in the curriculum, this could be used in Grades 1 and/or 2.
This fun detective story also encourages literacy skills as students must read simple sentences, comprehend and match information given with a text picture stencil to present on their mystery case file.
• Complete one clue page daily as part of daily math practice or mental math warmup.
• Use as an early finisher task for fast/advanced students.
• Homework practice (1 page per day or week)
• Complete all at once as a whole class (guided/groups/pairs/independently)
5 W's Format
In this math mystery pack you will receive:
• Teacher Instructions
• The Math Mystery Story, “Case of The Great Zoo Escape”
• Math Mystery Case File – that students will use as they work through each clue
• Clue 1 (WHO) – Addition (0-20)
• Clue 2 (WHERE) – Subtraction (0-20)
• Clue 3 (WHEN) – Addition (0-20), Time (am/pm, yesterday/today)
• Clue 4 (WHAT) – Subtraction (0-20)
• Clue 5 (WHY) – Addition and Subtraction (0-20)
• A Literacy Extension Activity for optional use post investigation (Write a Letter)
• Answer Sheets
• Printable awards to give to students who solve the mystery of The Great Zoo Escape!
This is a different format to my other math mysteries. This is a new structure that I hope will work well with younger students. If you would prefer something more challenging, or would like math mysteries for other grades/skills you can find more Math Mysteries HERE