Private Eye CSI Literacy Mystery - The Case of the Masked Menace
This Private Eye CSI Literacy Mystery will require your students to read the text carefully, make inferences, collect evidence, and unlock clues to solve the Case of the Masked Menace. NO PREP required, print and go! Everything that you need for this activity is in the download; all you need is paper to print and pencils to write!
Easy prep! Just Print & Solve! Or go paperless with the new Google Slides option provided within your download.
NEW - Distance Learning Update: I've added a Word Document within the folder that contains a Google Doc link to share this resource with your students via Google Classroom or Drive. Parts of the pages are editable so that your students can complete without having to print the pages. Please note, you will need to make a copy of the Google Slides to your drive before you can edit.
- Making Inferences
- Main Idea
- Drawing Conclusions
- Analyzing Text for Clues
- Critical Thinking
- Teacher instructions
- The introduction page to set the stage
- Case File Templates: Suspect page, evidence page, detective note page.
*****NEW table format is given in a separate file, which you may prefer to use instead of the original suspect/evidence pages.
- Reading and activity worksheets: most worksheets will involve reading and answering comprehension questions. Two worksheets will be a crack the code style with vocabulary work - Synonyms and Antonyms.
(There are seven pages for the investigation in total)
- Solution declaration page (students will be required to write or choose clues to convict a suspect! Two options provided for this section.)
- Answer sheets and solution guide
- Printable awards to give to students who solve the case correctly!
Use as an independent, pairs, or small group task. Make it a part of your ELA sessions, add to your early finisher tasks, keep handy for a sub, or give as a homework assignment.
This style of mystery is different from my Reading 'Once Upon a Crime' and Math Mystery ranges. In these 'Private Eye CSI' Literacy Mysteries students will be building suspect files and looking for clues in the text. Then they must use the information found to figure out who the Masked Menace is! They will also need to provide enough evidence to convict a suspect as being the culprit.