My Winter Wonderland Math Project
My Winter Wonderland is a fun way to practice a variety of math skills and helps your students to see how math is applied to the real world. Winter Math Project: My Winter Wonderland takes students through 10 exciting and educational levels to build and run their own magical Winter Wonderland.
In your download you will receive a pdf file, which contains:
- Teacher Instructions
- Printable Booklet for each student to use when completing the project
- OPTIONAL USE FOR DIFFERENTIATION: Stencil cut outs (measured to meet the area requirements in level 2) of rides, shops, restaurants, decorations and facilities. Students can cut and paste their purchases onto their land map instead of drawing in themselves. Custom options available too.
- A new pdf file marked 'easy' is included. This version of the project reduces the $$$ amounts.
Easy to prep for you! Plus, it's a fun way for your kids to do math too!
- Level 1: Introduction
(Set Up, which includes a printable grid map for students to put together).
- Level 2: Buying and Building
(Addition, Subtraction, Area, Geometry, Budgeting skills are being used here)
- Level 3: Paving the Way
(Multiplication, critical thinking, addition and subtraction skills are being used here)
- Level 4: Entry Ticket
(Mathematical Language & Numbers - Greater than, Less Than, Even Numbers, Square Numbers are covered here in an open ended format)
- Level 5: Hiring Staff
(Word problems, ratios, addition, and multiplication skills used here)
- Level 6: Income
(Multiplication, Addition, Ratios, Word Problem skills used here)
- Level 7: Costs
(Fractions, Addition, Subtraction, and Multiplication skills used here)
- Level 8: Profit and Loss
(Finance, Addition, and Subtraction skills used here)
- Level 9: Data and Graphs
(Data and Graph skills used here)
- Level 10: Information Desk
(Mapping and Coordinates skills used here)
The last page of the booklet after the 10 levels have been completed provides students with some fun tasks, including extension tasks.
Resource Implementation Suggestions:
- Students work at their own pace within a set period of time each session.
- Set a lesson based on 1-2 levels of the project, model and guide the students with examples on the board before asking them to work on that section in the booklet.
- Set a little bom:it at a time (perhaps by level) for homework. Only you can tick level complete if you are satisfied with the quality and completion of work they have produced in that level.
- Early Finisher Project: Give this task to your students to work on only when they finish their other work early. (Depending on ability level in your class this may be a great option for your gifted students).
If you have any questions or need me to make any adjustments to this resource for you, please do not hesitate to contact me on JJResourceCreations@gmail.com