My Pets Paradise Math Project
This Math Project: My Pets Paradise is a level progression project-based learning resource that incorporates a range of math skills, as well as literacy and critical thinking skills embedded throughout. Engage and motivate your students by allowing them to make choices and apply a variety of math skills to progress through each level.
There are 10 levels to work through in this packet!
The only extra resources that may be required are blank pieces of paper and calculators. Depending on student level and ability, such as younger grades, it may require some explanation by you (however, I have tried my best to make things as straightforward and structured).
Adjust the difficulty level of this project by controlling the number of pet choices students are allowed to select in Level 1. The more pets selected in level 1 the more challenging the project. You could even secretly assign students the number of pets they must select based on what you think best suits individual ability levels. Allow calculators to make it easier, or increase the difficulty by not allowing them!
Differentiation Options with Spending Limits included
- In the download, you will find a folder marked 'Differentiation Options.' In this folder, you will find the two additional versions of the same project, but with the spending limits adjusted. One is with a $10,000 spending limit and the other option is a $1,000 spending limit.
There are a few options with how you could use this resource:
1. You could go through each level as a class and provide a modeled example to guide students through each specific activity.
2. Students independently/or in pairs work at their own pace through the levels. Teacher facilitates around the classroom, providing one-on-one assistance when needed.
3. This could also be used as an ongoing homework task. You could set a certain amount of levels per week, or allow students to work at their own pace through the levels.
4. Use as an early finisher project.
Packet Contents - (Main skills required in each level):
Level 1 – Introduction (Literacy and Choices. This is where you can adjust the difficulty level of the project for students.)
Level 2 – Buying Pet Lodgings and Facilities (Students are given $1,000,000 to spend. Finance, Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, Logic). Please note that large numbers are used in this section. If you would like me to adjust the spending limit and make the price tags smaller numbers, email me on JJResourceCreations@gmail.com and I will happily change for you.
Level 3 – Building Time (Area and Logic) - Optional cut out stencils already area measured provided if you need to make this section easier for your students.
Level 4 – Setting Prices (Finance, Division, Discounts, Addition, Comparing Numbers).
Level 5 – Hiring Staff (Ratios, Multiplication, Addition)
Level 6 – Bookings (Adding, Comprehension, Tallies, Using Tables to record data, bar graphs, evaluation and analysis)
Level 7 – Check Out Bills (Finance, Multiplication, Addition, Comprehension, Evaluation and Analysis)
Level 8 – Costs (Finance, Addition, Subtraction, Simple Fractions, Simple Percentages, Multiplication, Evaluation)
Level 9 – Profit and Loss (Financial Literacy, Subtraction, Addition)
Level 10 – Reception Desk (Map Coordinates)
Fun Extension Tasks Provided at the end!
Throughout the levels I have aimed to provide instructions and text guidance explicitly to help reduce the questions for you. However, some explanation on your part may be required depending on your individual student abilities and understanding.
I hope your students enjoy this!